Fort Worth Quartermaster Depot


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: July 28, 2020


Fort Worth Quartermaster Depot served as a distribution point and supply center for the United States Army during World War II. Fort Worth was chosen as the site because of its proximity to area army camps, large packing plants, highways, and railroad lines. Construction of the $10 million depot began in the winter of 1941–42 and included extension of lines of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas and the Santa Fe railroads to the site. The army activated the supply point on May 4, 1942. Within two months the eighty-four-building depot also became a distribution center for the armed forces. In December of that year the army designated the site as an emergency supply point for troop trains. The Fort Worth Quartermaster Depot's supply area covered all or parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico, Louisiana (excluding New Orleans), and Arizona. By the end of 1943 it was the second or third largest military supply center (according to the number of troops supplied) in the nation. The depot continued to operate after the end of World War II, but at a greatly reduced level of activity. In the early 1960s the supply center ceased operations.

Time Periods:
  • World War II
Places:
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • Fort Worth
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Fort Worth Quartermaster Depot,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fort-worth-quartermaster-depot.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 28, 2020

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: