Fosterville, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Fosterville is near Indian Creek at the intersection of a country road and Farm Road 315, seventeen miles northeast of Palestine in northeastern Anderson County. The community was founded sometime before 1870 and had a post office from 1870 to 1905. In 1884 Fosterville had an estimated population of seventy. At that time it also had Baptist, Colored Baptist, and Christian churches, four blacksmith shops, two water-powered cotton gins and sawmills, two doctors, a district school, and a general store. The population of the community was estimated at forty in 1890 and at fifty in 1896. By the 1930s the Fosterville school was gone, but the townsite still had a sawmill and a number of dwellings. The 1985 county highway map did not name the community but showed one business at the site. By 2000 no trace of Fosterville was shown on maps, but Fosterville Cemetery was located in the area.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Fosterville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fosterville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Fosterville
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378317
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Anderson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.01071800°
  • Longitude: -95.61468100°