Four Way, TX

By: H. Allen Anderson

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Four Way, four miles north of Masterson in southern Moore County, is named for its position on the spot where U.S. Highway 87 from Dumas to Masterson crosses the route from Channing to Lake Meredith and Stinnett. Four Way is a hamlet allied with Masterson and the Colorado International Gas Company plant. After natural gas was discovered in the vicinity in the late 1920s, a man named Anthony and his wife opened a grocery store, filling station, and dance hall. Music for this popular roadhouse was furnished during the 1930s by "Little Ham" Hamilton's band from Amarillo. Later, after the highway was paved, a family named Atchison opened a store and cafe on the east side of the road. The dance hall expanded into a cafe and tourist court. By the early 1970s only one store and service station remained. The community was still listed in 1990.

Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

H. Allen Anderson, “Four Way, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 20, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/four-way-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading