Frankell, TX

By: Claudia Hazlewood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Frankell, on County Road 140 about 1½ miles east of the intersection of Farm Road 207 and some twelve miles southeast of Breckenridge in southeastern Stephens County, originated with the Ranger oil boom of 1916 (see RANGER, DESDEMONA, AND BRECKENRIDGE OILFIELDS). It became a station on the Wichita Falls and Southern Railway in 1920, when it was named for Frank Kell, the president of that line. Between 1920 and 1935 it had a population of 250, chiefly oilfield workers. In 1936 the town had two schools and a church. By 1940 Frankell had a post office, a store, and a population of fifty. The 1984 county highway map identified Frankell but did not show any buildings at its site.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Claudia Hazlewood, “Frankell, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 04, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/frankell-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Loading