Franklin, TX (Lamar County)


By: Vista K. McCroskey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Franklin was on the Red River 1½ miles west of Arthur City in northern Lamar County. The area was originally settled by Samuel Moore Fulton as a trading post-first called the U. S. Factory-and steamboat landing. In 1842 a post office called Franklin opened there, with Fulton as postmaster. The settlement declined when the importance of river transportation lessened and the area became more settled. In 1886 the St. Louis and San Francisco bypassed Franklin, and most business was transferred to the new railroad town, nearby Arthur City. Franklin was no longer shown on maps by 1936.

A. W. Neville, The History of Lamar County, Texas (Paris, Texas: North Texas, 1937; rpt. 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vista K. McCroskey, “Franklin, TX (Lamar County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 14, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/franklin-tx-lamar-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Franklin
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Lamar County
Associated Names

Fulton

U.S. Factory