Frazier, John Richard (1861–1945)

By: T. Bradford Willis

Type: Biography

Published: September 11, 2018

John Richard Frazier, medical society president, city health officer of Fort Worth, Mexican Army colonel, and physician in Texas and Mexico, was born on a plantation in Bosque County, Texas, on December 8, 1861. He was the son of James C. Frazier (1831–1917) and Emily A. (Moore) Frazier (1838–1929). James C. Frazier, his father, was a partner with Jacob Raphael De Cordova and made many of the original surveys of land grants in Texas. John Richard Frazier moved to Waco, Texas, with his family in 1871.

Frazier graduated from Waco University (now Baylor University) in 1879. He participated in some railroad surveys before becoming interested in medicine. He graduated from the Jefferson Medical College (now Sidney Kimmel Medical College) in Philadelphia on March 29, 1884, and the title of his thesis was “General Parenchymatous Hepatitis.” Frazier returned to Texas to practice medicine and was a member of the Waco Medical Association (now the McLennan County Medical Society). In 1893 he moved to Monterrey, Mexico, where he served as chief surgeon for the employees of the Monterrey and Gulf Railroad. He was appointed chief surgeon for the Vera Cruz and Pacific Railroad in 1901. Because of his knowledge of yellow fever and its transmission, Frazier served on the yellow fever commission in Vera Cruz. Gen. Porfirio Díaz commissioned Frazier an honorary colonel in the Mexican Army to assist with his recommendations. In 1903 Frazier relocated to Fort Worth, where he became the first company physician for recently-opened Swift and Company. He was elected president of the Tarrant County Medical Society in 1905, and he served as the Fort Worth city health officer until 1906. Frazier served as a delegate to the meeting of the Grand Lodge of the Knights of Pythias in 1912. He was a member of the anti-Ku Klux Klan delegation to the Texas Democratic Convention held in Austin in 1924.

Frazier married Harriet “Hallie” Lavinia Flint, the daughter of John Thompson Flint and Lavina H. Feurt, on December 18, 1888, at the First Baptist Church of Waco. Hallie (Flint) Frazier was a charter member and officer of the North Side Emergency Club. Her funeral was officiated by the Reverend William P. Witsell, rector of Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church of Waco. The couple had the following known children: Emily Estelle, Harriet Lavinia, John Flint, Wallace Moore, and Mary Nelson. John Richard Frazier died on June 11, 1945, in Fort Worth, Texas, and was buried in the Flint family plot at the First Street Cemetery, Waco.

Ann Arnold, A History of the Fort Worth Medical Community (Arlington: Landa Press, 2002). Catalogue of Baylor University at Waco, Texas (Waco: Ed. S. Stone, Printer and Binder, 1896). “Dr John Richard Frazier,” Find A Grave Memorial (, accessed September 9, 2018. Fort Worth Star-Telegram, June 12, 1945. “Texas Collection,” Southwestern Historical Quarterly 44 (January 1941). T. Bradford Willis, Some Notable Persons in First Street Cemetery of Waco, Texas, Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center, Fort Wayne, Indiana (, accessed June 5, 2018. William Orville Wilkes, History of the Waco Medical Association (Waco: Hill Printing Company, 1931).

  • Health and Medicine
  • Physicians and Surgeons
  • General Practitioners
  • General Surgeons
  • Pathologists
  • Public Health Physicians
  • Public Health Officials
Time Periods:
  • Late Nineteenth-Century Texas
  • Progressive Era
  • Texas in the 1920s
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • Fort Worth
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

T. Bradford Willis, “Frazier, John Richard,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 17, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.

For more information go to:

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

September 11, 2018

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: