Freeland, TX


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Freeland was thirteen miles southwest of Cleburne in southwestern Johnson County. It was established by and named for George Freeland, a county pioneer. The settlement, which served as a school community for area ranch families, was founded around 1880. That year a local post office opened. By 1890 Freeland's population had risen to fifty, and community life centered around the local Baptist church. The railroads bypassed Freeland during the 1880s. In the 1904–05 school year Freeland's school had one teacher and fifty-six students. The community's post office closed in 1911, and by 1925 Freeland had ceased to exist.

Viola Block, History of Johnson County and Surrounding Areas (Waco: Texian Press, 1970). Johnson County History Book Committee, History of Johnson County, Texas (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Freeland, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 14, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/freeland-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Freeland
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378326
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Johnson County
Associated Names

Camp Creek

Lavada

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.19709120°
  • Longitude: -97.56641060°