George R. Freeman, Confederate officer and lawyer, son of Dandridge Claiborne and Martha (Fox) Freeman, was born on June 25, 1830, near Frankfort, Kentucky. He may have attended Georgetown College in Kentucky before joining his grandfather in Texas in the 1840s. During the Civil War he served as captain of Company D, Twenty-third Texas Cavalry. He was captain of the Treasury Guards, a group of about thirty former Confederate soldiers, at the time of the Treasury Robbery incident. On the night of June 11, 1865, his command was attacked by a band of robbers who made off with some $17,000 in specie, though Freeman and his men were later recognized by the legislature for their work in defending the remainder of the assets in the treasury. About 1875 Freeman moved to Hamilton, where he practiced law and became a landowner. With income from his Austin and Hamilton property he endowed a Bible chair at Baylor University. He died on December 14, 1910, and was buried at Hamilton. His body was reinterred at Oakwood Cemetery, Austin, about 1915. His correspondence and legal documents are collected in the Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin.