Freeman, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Freeman was a post office community sixteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County. In 1888 a post office opened there, with Joseph W. Freeman as postmaster. In the early 1890s the settlement had a general store and a number of scattered houses. Its post office closed in 1892, and mail for the community was sent to Caledonia. By the mid-1930s Freeman was no longer shown on county highway maps.

John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Freeman, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/freeman-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading