Freeport, TX (Hale County)


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Freeport, about two miles north of the site of what is now Plainview in northeastern Hale County, consisted mainly of a post office, established on July 10, 1909, with Clarence C. Smith as postmaster. The office, intended to serve the nearby Central Plains College and Conservatory of Music, was discontinued and moved to Plainview on May 14, 1910, around the time the school was renamed Seth Ward College. By the early 1980s Freeport was no longer shown on county highway maps, although there was a Seth Ward subdivision of Plainview, located northwest of Farm Road 400.

Mary L. Cox, History of Hale County, Texas (Plainview, Texas, 1937).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Freeport, TX (Hale County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/freeport-tx-hale-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Freeport
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hale County
Associated Names

Seth Ward