Freyburg is at the intersection of Farm roads 956 and 2238, twelve miles southwest of La Grange in southwestern Fayette County. It was founded about 1868 by Germans and named for a town in Germany. Methodist services were held in local homes, then in a store and a school building. In 1879 the Freyburg Methodist Church, described as "an open plan Gothic Church with a central bell tower," was constructed. By 1886 Freyburg had a blacksmith shop and C. F. Thulemeyer's general store. A post office was opened in 1889, and by 1896 the community had fifty inhabitants, a saloon, a grocery store, and a general store. In the early 1900s the Order of Sons of Hermann had a dance hall in the community. The post office closed in 1907, and in 1940 Freyburg had forty inhabitants, one business, and a number of scattered dwellings. In the 1970s it comprised an old store, an old gin, several cemeteries, scattered homes, and Lutheran and Methodist churches. In 2000 Freyburg had a population of forty-five, and a bed and breakfast operated in an old farmhouse there. In 2004 the recently restored Freyburg Methodist Church celebrated its 125th anniversary.