Daniel Boone Friar, soldier and merchant, was born in Milledgeville, Georgia, on March 7, 1800. In 1828 he settled at Washington-on-the-Brazos, Texas, as a member of Stephen F. Austin's second colony. On October 17, 1835, a committee of the General Council at San Felipe de Austin appointed Friar to employ and superintend twenty-five rangers to operate between the Brazos and the Colorado rivers with headquarters at the Indian village of Ouchaco (Waco). Friar's claims for services to the government were ordered paid by joint resolution of the Congress of the republic on May 24, 1838. In 1839 Friar bought 1,261 acres in the Sam Lockhart survey of DeWitt County for $2,500 and built a two-story house and store near the junction of Cuero Creek and the Guadalupe River on the La Bahía Road. Friar's home was located near Cuero Creek Settlement and became the temporary county seat of DeWitt County when the county was formed in February 1842. On March 24, 1846, when DeWitt County was organized, Friar's home again was designated as the meetingplace for the county and district courts until suitable buildings could be erected at the official county seat. In 1841, when the Gonzales-Victoria road came into general use, Friar's home became a major crossroads stage stop.
As a lieutenant in Capt. John J. Tumlinson's company in 1840, Friar helped pursue the Comanches who raided Victoria and Linnville and participated in defeating them at the battle of Plum Creek (see LINNVILLE RAID OF 1840). He set out on the Mier expedition in 1842 but was among those who turned back at the Rio Grande. Friar later became a stockman in the Yorktown area, where he raised cattle under the Circle T brand. He married Ann McGary in 1827, and they had at least nine children. Friar was a Presbyterian and was said to have organized the first Masonic lodge in DeWitt County. He died at his home on Coleto Creek at Yorktown on January 7, 1858.