Frieden was near the intersection of State Highway 36 and Farm Road 390, in northwestern Washington County. The community, which existed from the 1890s through the first third of the 1900s, was formed predominantly by German immigrants. A post office opened there on June 27, 1895. Postmaster Hermann Tesch was succeeded by Julia Tesch on April 9, 1901, and the community's post office closed on February 21, 1903. Pastors George H. Sieveking and Theodore Schlundt founded a German Evangelical church at Frieden in 1900. In the late 1980s only the church building, used at that time by the Church of Christ, and the cemetery remained at the site.