Friendship, TX (Coryell County)


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Friendship was near the headwaters of Owl Creek eight miles south of Fort Gates in southeastern Coryell County. It was established before 1870 on land owned by James Wilkens Powell and was the site of several Grange meetings. The school on Owl Creek had forty-four students and one teacher in 1904. Area residents were forced to move when the Fort Hood military reservation was established in the early 1940s.

Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Friendship, TX (Coryell County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 14, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/friendship-tx-coryell-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Friendship
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1357741
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coryell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.30794670°
  • Longitude: -97.71974250°