Friendship, TX (Marion County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995

Updated: October 22, 2020


Friendship is at the intersection of two country roads seven miles northeast of Jefferson and 1½ miles north of State Highway 49 in eastern Marion County. The Friendship school had fifty-six White pupils and one teacher in 1899. In the 1930s the community had a school, several scattered dwellings, and a church, a half mile west of the crossroads. In 1938 the community's three-room schoolhouse accommodated thirty-eight Black elementary school students and one teacher. The school was consolidated with those of Jefferson by 1955, and in 1967 nothing remained in the area but the Trinity Church. In 1983 the site had the Trinity Church and a community center.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Friendship, TX (Marion County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/friendship-tx-marion-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995
October 22, 2020

Place
Friendship
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.81263930°
  • Longitude: -94.26157790°