Friendship, TX (Van Zandt County)


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Friendship, just off Farm Road 17 sixteen miles northeast of Canton in northeastern Van Zandt County, had a Grange by 1876. The New Friendship School existed as early as 1890 and reached an enrollment of 112 in 1904. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, a church, and several dwellings. Its school was consolidated with the Grand Saline Independent School District in 1952. In 1965 Friendship had a church, a cemetery, and dwellings along the roadway. In the 1980s the county highway map showed the Friendship School and scattered dwellings at the site. The Allsup and Pinkston Cemetery and the New Mountain Church were in the area.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Friendship, TX (Van Zandt County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/friendship-tx-van-zandt-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Friendship
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1336251
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Van Zandt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.69207440°
  • Longitude: -95.64718270°