Frio Water Hole, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995

Updated: October 16, 2019


Frio Water Hole was on the Frio River forty-nine miles northwest of Bandera in what is now Real County. The community was reportedly named for a water source used by Indians and by the Texas Rangers. The water hole, near the headwaters of the Frio River, was supposedly on the route traveled in August 1862 by a group of Union sympathizers attempting to reach Mexico; they were caught by Confederate pursuers a few days later, and the Battle of Nueces ensued. A post office was established at Frio Water Hole in 1879, when Real was still part of Bandera County. In 1884 Frio Water Hole had thirty-five residents, and the principal shipments from the area were livestock and wool. The community post office was discontinued in 1888, and mail for area residents was sent to Medina.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Frio Water Hole, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 14, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/frio-water-hole-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995
October 16, 2019

Place
Frio Water Hole
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Real County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.84466500°
  • Longitude: -99.65705100°