Front, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Front, fourteen miles east of Carthage in eastern Panola County, was established before 1900. In the mid-1930s it had a school, a store, and a number of houses. A small railroad, Waterman's logging tram, ran through the town. During the 1940s the Front school was consolidated with that of Carthage, and by the mid-1960s only a church and a few scattered houses remained in the area. In the early 1990s Front was a dispersed rural community.

Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Front, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/front-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading