Fry, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Fry was on a country road off Farm Road 585, west of Fry oilfield and fourteen miles northwest of Brownwood in western Brown County. In 1926 an oil well was drilled on J. H. Fry's property, and the community grew up when the field began to produce the following year. A post office was opened there in 1927, and by 1929 Fry had a population of 200. Oil production slowed in the 1930s as the field became depleted, and in 1941, when the community had a church, two businesses, and scattered dwellings, the population had fallen to 100. By 1949 it was forty, and by 1964 all that remained at the site was a cemetery.

Thomas Robert Havins, Something about Brown: A History of Brown County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1958).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Fry, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fry-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Fry
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377739
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Brown County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.82514770°
  • Longitude: -99.18366780°