Frydek, TX

By: Charles Christopher Jackson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995

Frydek is on Farm Road 1458 and the west bank of the Brazos River three miles east of Sealy and three miles south of San Felipe in southeastern Austin County. Settlement in the vicinity began in the early 1820s, when members of the Austin colony patented several labores of land along the river east of the eventual townsite. Frydek was established about 1895 by Czechs on a league of land south of the San Felipe town tract, originally granted to Stephen F. Austin in 1831. The community, apparently named after the Moravian city of Frýdek-Místek, soon became a market center for farmers and stockmen of the vicinity. A Frydek post office operated from 1901 until 1906. The local school had thirty-six pupils in 1918. By 1931 the community had four businesses. A church was located in the town through much of the twentieth century, and was still in operation in 1999. The population, which has remained predominantly Czech in origin, was an estimated twenty-five in 1933. The figure climbed to an estimated seventy-five in 1939 and then to 150, the number reported from 1964 to 2000.

  • Peoples
  • Czechs
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles Christopher Jackson, “Frydek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 13, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Currently Exists
Place Type
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Austin County
  • Latitude: 29.75328880°
  • Longitude: -96.08829250°
Population Counts
People Year
900 2009