John Romberg Fuchs, judge of the Twenty-second Judicial District, son of William and Louise (Romberg) Fuchs, was born in Cypress Mill, Texas, on April 28, 1886. His grandfather was Adolph Fuchs. John Fuchs graduated from the University of Texas law school in 1908 and returned to his adopted hometown, New Braunfels, to practice with Herbert Henne. From 1936 to 1944 his son Mark was his law partner. In 1944 Fuchs was elected district judge, an office he held until he retired in 1964. He also held a number of other public offices, including city and county attorney, member of the state Democratic party executive committee, and member of the New Braunfels Independent School District board, of which he was president.
He was national president of the Henry George Foundation of America and was a strong, energetic advocate of the Georgian "single tax" philosophy and principles. To explain and promulgate that concept he wrote Liberation from Taxation (1944) and Constructive Taxation for Free Enterprise (1956). He wrote a third book, A Husband's Tribute to His Wife (1938), in memory of Patty Wenmohs of Blanco County, whom he married in 1911 and who died in 1937; they had two children. In 1942 Fuchs married Mrs. Alma Albrecht Pfeuffer, who died in 1966. He served as president of both the New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce and the Lions Club. He was also involved in community efforts to preserve the culture of German pioneers and early settlers. He died on July 13, 1968, at his home in New Braunfels.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
Texas Bar Journal, September 22, 1968.
Law, Law Enforcement, and Outlaws
Politics and Government
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Walter H. Richter,
“Fuchs, John Romberg,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed July 03, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
January 1, 1995