Fulton Mansion State Historic Site is on Fulton Beach Road three miles north of Rockport. The three-story, Second Empire house was built by George W. Fulton, Sr., rancher and businessman; he lived there from 1877 to 1893. The unusual house features innovative heating, ventilating, and food-preservation systems. It remained in private hands until 1976, when the state purchased the 2.3-acre site. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. It was restored in 1983 and opened as a museum. Operational control of the site was officially transferred from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to the Texas Historical Commission by the Eightieth Texas Legislature on January 1, 2008.