Furrh is on Farm Road 31 fourteen miles northeast of Carthage in northeastern Panola County. It was named for John Furrh, who established a grist and saw mill near DeBerry in 1871, and Furrh's son T. H. Furrh, who by 1885 had a mill and general store at the site of the settlement. A post office was established at Furrh in 1898, and by 1914 the community also had two general stores, a cotton gin, a gristmill, and an estimated population of 150. Its post office closed in 1917, and mail for Furrh residents was sent to DeBerry. By the mid-1930s only a store and a number of scattered houses remained at Furrh, which reported a population of sixty-two in 1936. After World War II the store closed. In the early 1990s Furrh was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of forty. The population remained the same in 2000.