Galilee, TX (Hopkins County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Galilee, a farming community a mile west of Farm Road 69 and ten miles southeast of Sulphur Springs in southeastern Hopkins County, was established by the late 1890s, when a public school was operating there. In 1898 the school had an enrollment of forty-one black students. By the mid-1930s the community had a number of scattered houses and a church, school, and cemetery. After World War II most of Galilee's residents moved away. The community's school was consolidated with the Como school district, and by the early 1960s all that remained at the site was the church and a cemetery. In the late 1980s Galilee was a dispersed rural community.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Galilee, TX (Hopkins County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/galilee-tx-hopkins-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading