Galloway, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Galloway (Gallaway), on Farm Road 31 seventeen miles southeast of Carthage in southeastern Panola County, was established soon after the Civil War. A school that began operating there in the early 1880s had an enrollment of thirty in 1897. In the mid-1930s Galloway had a school, a church, a store, and a number of houses. After World War II its school was consolidated with the Carthage schools, but in the mid-1960s the community still had a church, a community center, and several businesses. In 1990 Galloway was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of seventy-one. The population remained the same in 2000.

Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). John Barnette Sanders, Index to the Cemeteries of Panola County (Center, Texas, 1964).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Galloway, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/galloway-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading