The Galveston and Houston Junction Railroad Company was chartered on April 8, 1861, to link the Galveston, Houston and Henderson and the Houston and Texas Central railroads at Houston. The early incorporators of the line included John Sealy, Robert Mills, David G. Mills, William R. Smith, J. H. Hutchins, and others from Galveston. Stock ownership was identical with that of the Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad Company. In early 1865 the Junction Railroad built its line from Rusk Avenue in Houston to an end-to-end connection with the Houston and Texas Central, about two miles, using rails that had been bought from the Houston, Trinity and Tyler. This construction included the first railroad bridge over Buffalo Bayou. The Galveston and Houston Junction also supplied locomotives and other equipment for use on the Galveston, Houston and Henderson, and the two companies were combined in 1871.