The National Intelligencer, a weekly paper published at Galveston, was established by A. J. Cody before August 1841 as a successor to the Galveston People's Advocate and as a pro-David G. Burnet organ. Andrew J. Yates purchased the paper in August 1841 and published it until sometime in the fall of that year, when panic over the invasion of Rafael Vásquez brought Galveston business to a standstill. Yates closed the paper and went west to join the Somervell expedition.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
Joe B. Frantz, Newspapers of the Republic of Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983). John Melton Wallace, Gaceta to Gazette: A Checklist of Texas Newspapers, 1813–1846 (Austin: University of Texas Department of Journalism, 1966). WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Galveston National Intelligencer,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 31, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/galveston-national-intelligencer.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.