The Texas Times, successor to the San Luis Advocate, was published weekly in Galveston by David Davis and Ferdinand Pinckard, beginning in 1841. Pinckard hoped to produce a national newspaper independent in politics and had agents in New Orleans, Vicksburg, and Lexington, Kentucky. "Moses Austin's Journal" ran through a series of issues. Pinckard moved to Yucatán, and on March 11, 1843, George H. French and G. L. Hamlin took over the paper. It was published as late as April 22, 1843. The May 16, 1843, issue of the triweekly edition, which had been published since late 1842, informed those who had paid in advance that they would receive the Telegraph in place of the Texas Times.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Galveston Texas Times,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 05, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/galveston-texas-times.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.