The newspaper Galvestonian, according to various sources, was established at Galveston on March 20, 1839, by John Gladwin, who served as owner, publisher, and editor. The paper was published thrice weekly until November 1839 or possibly March 1840, when it became a daily. After he died in October 1839, Gladwin was succeeded as editor by David Davis. Henry R. French, a brother-in-law of Samuel Bangs, served as editor from March until May 1840, and Bangs, who owned the Niles printing press on which the paper was manufactured, served as printer from March until July, when he left to pursue other interests. In June French sold a half interest in the paper to Davis, and afterward the paper may have suspended publication.
At the same time the daily paper was being published, Bangs and French put out a weekly paper, the Weekly Galvestonian, in May and June 1841. A new daily Galvestonian or a continuation of the original paper appeared in March 1841 with Bangs as publisher, printer, and proprietor and George French as editor. Henry and George French served as editors of this publication from July 14, 1841, until early 1842. The paper supported Sam Houston for president and Memucan Hunt for vice president. Because Henry French held claim to the name Galvestonian, his brother and brother-in-law suspended publication of the paper in March 1842 and began to issue the Daily News.