Garrett, TX (Panola County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Garrett, also known as Garrett Springs, is on Farm Road 999 some fourteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County. The community formed after the Civil War. During the 1890s a school began operating there, and in 1897 it had an enrollment of ninety-seven. The community had the school and a number of houses in the mid-1930s. After World War II the school was consolidated with those of Carthage, but in the mid-1960s a church and a few scattered dwellings still remained in the area. In the early 1990s Garrett was a dispersed rural community.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Garrett, TX (Panola County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 17, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/garrett-tx-panola-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading