Higinio Garza, Jr., county judge, was born at Los Saenz (now Roma-Los Saenz) on May 23, 1881, to Luis Garza and Antonia Barrera. He was the adopted son of Teodosia Saenz and Higinio Garza, Sr., his uncle. His adopted mother's family were early settlers in the area; Los Saenz was named after the family. In 1900 he married Emeteria Moreno; they had four children. Garza attended private schools in Roma and in Starr County. He entered St. Louis College (later St. Mary's University) in 1894. Upon his return to Rio Grande City, he took charge of his father's mercantile business. In 1902 he became active in county politics. He was appointed justice of the peace of Precinct 2 at Los Saenz in 1908 and served as tax collector of Starr County from 1910 to 1912. In 1914 he became county judge, in which capacity he served until 1944, when he retired. He was a political ally of the Manuel Guerra family of Starr County. In 1925 he became manager of the Starr County Motor Company and was living on land granted to his ancestors around 1769. In 1929 he was president of the Starr County Abstract Company. During World War II he served as chairman of the Starr County draft board and was a member of the Home Guard. He was one of six Mexican Americans to be included in Texas Democracy, a history of the Democratic party in Texas published in 1937. He was a member of Holy Family Catholic Church, the Knights of Columbus, the Lions Club, and the Woodmen of the World. He died of cancer on April 21, 1950, and is buried in Roma-Los Saenz.