Gaylord, TX

By: H. Allen Anderson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Gaylord, on a mail route five miles east of Booker in northwestern Lipscomb County, was established in 1917 as a station on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway and was named for an employee of the line. There A. L. Clarke established a general store and a post office, which closed in 1922; the store was moved to Booker. A grain elevator in the community continued to operate until the late 1940s. Gaylord reported a store and a population of twenty-five in 1940. Its grain elevator was torn down in 1960, and the 1982 county highway map identified Gaylord only as a railroad stop.

A History of Lipscomb County, Texas, 1876–1976 (Lipscomb, Texas: Lipscomb County Historical Survey Committee, 1976).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

H. Allen Anderson, “Gaylord, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 27, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gaylord-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Loading