Gentry's Mill, TX


By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Gentry's Mill, eight miles northwest of Hamilton in north central Hamilton County, was named for Frederick Browder Gentry, who in 1875 settled on Waring Creek and owned a wheat and corn mill there. Later S. C. Terry built a gin nearby. The community had a post office from 1876 to 1895. The population of Gentry's Mill was estimated at seventy-five in 1884 but by 1896 was no longer being recorded. A school survived in the area until 1950. The 1983 county highway map showed a church, a cemetery, and a community hall at Gentry's Mill. In 2000 the population was seventeen.

A History of Hamilton County, Texas (Hamilton, Texas: Hamilton County Historical Commission, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Gentry's Mill, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gentrys-mill-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Gentry's Mill
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378348
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hamilton County
Associated Names

Gentry

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.79209610°
  • Longitude: -98.22559310°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009