Georgetown was near the Red River four miles north of what is now the site of Pottsboro in north central Grayson County. The community was likely named for George Ivy (Ivey), who owned the land where Fort Johnston was located in 1840, but later renamed for George R. Reeves, who represented Grayson County in the legislature from 1856 to 1858. As other communities developed nearby and Fort Johnson was vacated, the Georgetown residents left, and the community dissolved.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
Mattie D. Lucas and Mita H. Hall, A History of Grayson County (Sherman, Texas, 1936). Northern Standard, July 31, 1852.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
David Minor, “Georgetown, TX (Grayson County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 22, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/georgetown-tx-grayson-county.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.