Germania, TX (Lee County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Germania, on Farm Road 1624 three miles west of Lexington in northwestern Lee County, was established by German immigrants in the 1880s. The community's name derives from the Latin word for Germany. A school opened there before 1900 and at its height around 1910 enrolled thirty students. The first Lutheran church in the area was organized in the school, and services were held there until 1891, when the Trinity Lutheran Church was established in Lexington. In the mid-1930s Germania had the old church building and cemetery and a few scattered dwellings. By 1982 only the cemetery marked the townsite.

Julia Jones, Lee County: Historical and Descriptive (Houston, 1945). Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).

Categories:

  • Peoples
  • Germans

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Germania, TX (Lee County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/germania-tx-lee-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading