Gethsemane Community, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Gethsemane Community is on State Highway 49 fifteen miles northeast of Jefferson in northeastern Marion County. The Gethsemane school had fifty-three pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a three-room schoolhouse that accommodated 183 elementary students, twenty-seven high school students, and five teachers. The school was consolidated with the Lassater school by 1955. In 1962 Gethsemane Community had a church and a number of scattered dwellings. In the 1980s there were four business establishments, a recreational facility, and two churches in the predominantly black community.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • African Americans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Gethsemane Community, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gethsemane-community-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Gethsemane
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1336504
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Associated Names

-Community

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.80264060°
  • Longitude: -94.10935130°