Gewhitt, TX

By: H. Allen Anderson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: November 29, 2019


Gewhitt, five miles south of Stinnett in southwestern Hutchinson County, was named for George Whittenburg, son of James A. Whittenburg, who managed the family's ranch properties. A Gewhitt grade school was in operation for several years. On May 26, 1927, after the opening of the Panhandle oilfield, a post office was established in the town's general store. It remained in operation until 1942, after which mail was sent to Stinnett. Throughout the 1940s Gewhitt had a population of sixty but declined afterward.

Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960). Hutchinson County Historical Commission, History of Hutchinson County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1980). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

H. Allen Anderson, “Gewhitt, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 27, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gewhitt-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
November 29, 2019

Loading