Gilpin, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Gilpin is a mile south of State Highway 70 and eight miles southeast of Spur in extreme southern Dickens County. A post office established there on November 13, 1908, was originally named Poet but was renamed Gilpin on September 11, 1909, to honor William B. Gilpin, early settler, county judge, and first postmaster. In 1909 the settlement became a station on the Stamford and Northwestern Railway. Gilpin reported twenty-five residents and one store in 1948. Its post office was moved to Spur on June 15, 1954. The 1980 county highway map identified Gilpin, but showed no businesses at the site. In 2000 the population was three.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Gilpin, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gilpin-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Gilpin
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379834
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Dickens County
Associated Names

Poet

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.41508850°
  • Longitude: -100.71651160°
Population Counts
People Year
2 2009