Gladstell, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Gladstell was on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway between Cleveland and the East Fork of the San Jacinto River in northwestern Liberty County. The community was named for Gladys and Estell Grogan, the daughters of George and Will Grogan, and was the site of the Grogan sawmill. The Gladstell post office opened in 1913. During the 1920s the mill town reported a population of some 500. The clearing of available timber and the consolidation of many of the smaller sawmills in East Texas probably led to Gladstell's decline. The community was not named on a 1976 topographical map of the area, though the map showed a few buildings at the site.

Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Gladstell, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gladstell-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Gladstell
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1383222
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Liberty County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.28493350°
  • Longitude: -95.11271030°