Gladstone, TX


By: James L. Hailey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Gladstone, thirteen miles southwest of Huntsville in western Walker County, had a post office from 1888 to 1909. In 1890 the community comprised a corn mill, a cotton gin, a general store, and a population of twenty-five. Gladstone by 1896 had forty residents, two mills and gins, a store, and a local physician. In 1933 it reported one business and a population of 100, but by 1945 its population had dropped to fifty, and by 1949 population estimates were no longer available for the community. In the 1990s no remnants of Gladstone remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

James L. Hailey, “Gladstone, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gladstone-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Gladstone
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Walker County
Associated Names

Hopkins Store