Glen Rose Collegiate Institute, also known as Glen Rose College, began operation in 1889 as a private elementary and college preparatory school associated with the Presbyterian Church. The institution remained in operation in Glen Rose until the first decade of the twentieth century. A private college had operated there since 1879, when R. H. Whitehead began offering classes to fifty students in a long frame building. In the early 1880s Whitehead sold the school to a local group, the Paluxy Baptist Association, which named the institution Paluxy Baptist College. Problems of debt led the Baptist group to sell to a Professor Rivers in 1887, and Rivers, in turn, sold the school to the Trinity Presbytery of the Northern Presbyterian Church in 1889. The church chartered the school the same year, and it began operation as Glen Rose Collegiate Institute. The school consisted of a large three-story building on six acres of land donated by the town of Glen Rose. Expenses were paid by a combination of funds from the church, the community, and the school's own earnings. Backed by the Presbyterian Board of Aid for Colleges, the school, originally presided over by W. A. Boles, offered varied courses of study ranging from primary instruction through college preparatory work. The institution avoided sectarian instruction but remained "distinctly Christian" and required that its students take Bible courses during each year of their enrollment. Glen Rose Collegiate Institute matriculated sixty students in 1896 and reached a peak enrollment of 200 in 1903. Growth of public schools in the area, however, reduced enrollment to such an extent that sometime between 1903 and 1910 the school closed. The Glen Rose public school system purchased the school's physical plant in 1910.