Golly, TX


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Golly is twelve miles south of Cuero and four miles east of Meyersville in southern DeWitt County. A school, which provided the focus for the surrounding rural community, was established there in 1884 on land donated by Theresa Hubersberger and was named for Anton Golly, one of the trustees. The school was closed in 1946. The 1984 county highway map designates the area as the Golly Community and shows a community hall at the site. In 2000 the population was forty-one.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Golly, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/golly-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Golly
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379842
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.94359390°
  • Longitude: -97.26165730°
Population Counts
People Year
41 2009