Gouldbusk, twenty miles south of Coleman in south central Coleman County, was named for William Gould-Busk, an English rancher who bought the Starkweather ranch around 1886. The town developed after the sale of ranchland for farms in 1903. It became a small center for cotton ginning and had a post office. In 1940 Gouldbusk had a gin, a post office, six businesses, and 150 residents, but a decline during and after World War II reduced the population to seventy by 1980. In 2000 it was still seventy.