Gower, on Cottonwood Creek north of Hutto in south central Williamson County, was the site of a mill run by Robert Towns in the late 1880s. The community received a post office in 1893 and was named for the first postmaster, Bennet A. Gower. In 1896 Gower had a population of twenty, and in October of that year the post office was closed. The Gower school was started after 1896 and served fifty-seven pupils in 1903. It closed sometime thereafter.