Graham's Chapel, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Graham's Chapel was off Farm Road 1476 twelve miles east of Comanche and three miles south of Proctor in eastern Comanche County. The community was settled in the late 1870s, and the oldest grave in Graham's Chapel cemetery dates from 1882. The community's name presumably derives from a church at the site. In 1902 the community had a school, which was still operating as late as 1924; by the 1930s the school had been consolidated with Proctor. In 1940 the community included two cemeteries and scattered dwellings. By the 1960s all that remained of Graham's Chapel was the two cemeteries.

Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Graham's Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/grahams-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Graham's Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1336787
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comanche County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.95292400°
  • Longitude: -98.41837730°