Grand Lake, TX


By: Will Branch

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Grand Lake was on Stewart's Creek two miles south of Conroe in south central Montgomery County. The best indications are that the community was near the site of what is now the River Plantation subdivision, probably near Creighton Road. The Houston and Great Northern Railroad reached the area in 1871, on its way to New Waverly from Houston. In 1875 a Grand Lake post office was established, but it was discontinued in 1882. By the 1930s the town was no longer shown on state highway maps.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Will Branch, “Grand Lake, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/grand-lake-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Grand Lake
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Montgomery County