Grange Hall, TX (Harrison County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995

Updated: October 27, 2020


Grange Hall is on State Highway 43 four miles southwest of Marshall in southwestern Harrison County. The Blalock family made their home on the site from about 1850 on, and the community was known as Grange Hall by 1896, when it had a voting box. In 1897 its two schools enrolled fifty-seven White pupils, and in 1904 the community had a school for forty-five White students and another for 104 Black students. In the 1930s there were three churches and three schools in the dispersed community. By 1978 Grange Hall comprised a school, a cemetery, and a number of dwellings scattered over two miles of State Highway 43. In 1992 the Grange Hall school had been closed and the building converted into one of three churches still located at the site.

Jerome McCown, Scraps of the Early History of Marshall and Harrison County (MS, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin). Marshall News Messenger, August 23, 1936.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Grange Hall, TX (Harrison County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/grange-hall-tx-harrison-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995
October 27, 2020

Place
Grange Hall
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1358262
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harrison County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.49487320°
  • Longitude: -94.40630920°