Grassbur, TX


By: Nellie Murphree

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Grassbur was a rural community in northeastern DeWitt County. The Grassbur school, which provided the community focus, opened in 1880. Sunday school was held there until the school merged with the Edgar school district in 1889. A post office served the Grassbur community from June 1887 until January 1888, when mail delivery was transferred through Edgar.

Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Nellie Murphree, “Grassbur, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/grassbur-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Grassbur
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • DeWitt County
Associated Names

Hutton