Gravis, TX (Williamson County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Gravis was a farming community on Dry Berry Creek some five miles southwest of Jarrell in northwestern Williamson County. The community had a post office, blacksmith shop, store, and school at the end of the 1800s. When the post office opened there in 1895, two names were proposed for the community: Cross Roads or Wyatt's Ville (the latter after Collin Dennis Wyatt, the local saddle and harness maker, storekeeper, and first postmaster). The postal officials rejected these names, and the post office and community were named for John A. Gravis, the original land grantee. The Gravis post office closed in 1904. By 1948 Gravis was not shown on the county highway map.

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Gravis, TX (Williamson County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gravis-tx-williamson-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Gravis
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Williamson County
Associated Names

Cross Roads 1

Wyattsville