Gray, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Gray is at the intersection of State Highway 49 and Farm Road 727, sixteen miles east of Jefferson in eastern Marion County. In 1938 the community had a four-room schoolhouse that accommodated forty-five elementary school students and two teachers. The school was consolidated with the Jefferson schools by 1955, and in 1962 Gray had a church and scattered dwellings. In 1983 there were several businesses on the highway in the area of the community.

Jack Reed Harvey, Survey and Proposed Reorganization of the Marion County Schools (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Gray, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/gray-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Gray
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378378
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Marion County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.78764130°
  • Longitude: -94.07351690°
Population Counts
People Year
12 2009